General News

17 new cases recorded in Winneba within 2 days


Seventeen (17) new cases of cholera have been recorded in the Effutu municipality of the Central Region while the death toll remains two.

These new cases have been recorded between Saturday and Monday after officials announced earlier that some 29 cases were confirmed and being managed out of over 300 suspected cases.

This continuous surge in cases mostly from the coastal areas of the municipality is placing a strain on the Winneba Municipal Hospital and its staff.

The entire male ward according to Dr. Douglas Amponsah, Medical Superintendent of the facility “has been converted into a general ward dedicated for cholera cases where both male, female and children are currently being treated.

The facility has also resorted to erecting a tent to serve as a triage area for receiving suspected cholera cases.

Dr Douglas told 3News.com that these have been done in order to prevent spread even at the facility.

Central Region’s Director of health services, Dr. Agnes Achiamaa Anane, told 3News.com that majority of the newly recorded cases are mild and attributes that to early reporting by patients.

She says series of key stakeholder engagements have been carried out and sensitization activities rolled out to create awareness.

She however is attributing the outbreak to open defecation and other bad sanitation and hygiene practices.

By Akwasi Addo



Source link

Related posts

Ayariga expresses confidence in Asantehene’s role to mediate Bawku Conflict

nanakofi

IGP and Bawku Naba Unite for Peacebuilding Dialogue

quasi

Illegal Miners Ousted from Offin Shelter Belt, Ashanti Regional Minister Confirms to Otumfuo

quasi

Public Outcry Over National Security Raid on Nigerian Businessman’s Residence

nanakofi

Four Ghanaian Leaders Receive Gold Coin Minted in Honour of the Asante King

quasi

IGP Dampare is professional and levelheaded – Sam Okudzeto defends police chief

admin

Leave a Comment